Wednesday, October 21, 2009

St. Louis Fashion Week--All Access Pass!!

Hey Urbanistas, I know you all have been waiting so patiently to get a recap on STLFW, so here it is!  This is the 2nd time the Urbanistas attended STLFW this year and we were not disappointed.  In addition to attending shows, we also decided volunteer for STLFW through The Raymond Experience.  We kicked of the fun by attending Emerge on Friday night which featured Bolongaro Trevor, Love Brigade, and TRIM.  We started at the bar as there were complimentary Budweiser products and the bartendars were mixing up batches of Borbatinis for guests to try.  Then we headed to check out some of the vendors. Spotted were PR mavens Pamela Raymond, Cheresse Pentella, Amit Dawan, and Dwight Carter, STLFW Producer Attillio D'Agostino, media gurus Debra Bass and Gilberto Pinela, Alive Mag crew Sheniqua Faulkner, Jason Nichols, and Christy Miller, Jeff & Mary Clark of Mother Model Management, and Steve & Chena Garnett of Solique Modeling.  After the show, we hit up SleeK for the afterparty, but didn't stay too long as we had to be back in the morning to work behind the scenes. 

Working backstage was awesome despite the fact I had to be downtown at 6:30 am!  I was back there hustling too.  Although I have a full time career in HR, I didn't have a problem getting down with some of the young bucks and doing some of the grunt work! And fashion director Jill Manoff was ready to put me to work.  I dug through boxes of Baker's shoes for the designers, steamed clothes for designer Paul Gibson's collection Reign, then folded and packed up clothes for Bolongaro Trevor.  I loved everything they had, but one dress was so tiny it was like I could fit one thigh in it!LOL 


Here is Stuart Trevor, 1/2 of the Bolongaro Trevor design team posed with Attillio in Hotel Lumiere's lobby on his way back to London.  While backstage I chatted with models Christian Coffield, Madison Bradley (who just got signed to Ford), and Jade about their experiences as models in St. Louis.  After all my hard work, I did get a chance to enjoy the 1:00 Evolve show to check out some of St. Louis' up and coming designers, Michael Drummond, Laura Kathleen, and Michael Shead.  During the show I spotted Hostess Danielle Lee of the Fete Society in the front row bobbing her head to the funky beats the DJ was mixing.

After I went home to rest, I headed back downtown later that evening for Surface, the final fashion show of the week.  I had the best time!  I was a little late to the show as I was waiting for my fashionably late partner in crime, Ms. Brandii, but it all worked out as I ended up in the front row and finally got to see all the action I was missing.  I was near the media section which was great as I saw the models strutting down the runway then posing which provided for great picture opportunities (click here for all the pics)! 
After the show we chatted with Sande Stevenson who was doing a piece for STL-TV and will be featured as our Ultimate Urbansista in a few months, Ma'At, blogger for Outtown, Gilberto Pinela, Ola Hawatmeh with Mom Me Makeover (and this month's Ultimate Urbanista), Jennifer Neal, whose designs were featured in Project Design, the fashion show that kicked off STLFW, and Kyjuan and Murphy Lee who were also in the house. 

Some of my favorite designers featured at STLFW include Bolongaro Trevor, Jennifer Neal, Laura Kathleen, Michael Shead, and Trashbiscuit.  Who would've thunk that I would like the punk look of Trashbiscuit, but I really loved the creativity of this line! Overall, we had a fabulous time and have a lot more respect for all those that work to put on this great event for us Midwesterners!


No comments:

Post a Comment